Minnesota Secretary Of State - How to renew or amend your business filing
Skip to main content

How to renew or amend your business filing

NOTICE: Owners of pre-2015 limited liability companies in Minnesota: Upcoming changes to the law will affect your business. See this page for details. 

Business Annual Renewals:

If you filed a Certificate of Assumed Name, Minnesota Business Corporation, Foreign Business Corporation, or Non-Profit Corporation, or a Cooperative, Limited Liability Company, Limited Liability Partnership or Limited Partnership, you must file an annual renewal once every calendar year, beginning in the calendar year following your original filing with the Secretary of State. Your entity will be “statutorily dissolved” (no longer be recognized as existing in Minnesota) if you fail to file your annual renewal. If your entity has been statutorily dissolved, you may have it retroactively reinstated (as long as the name is still available) by filing a renewal for the current year and paying a fee.

The Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State has launched a new initiative aimed at better serving Minnesotans and the state’s business community called the “Minnesota Business Snapshot.” It’s a voluntary, quick five-question survey that’s now being offered to nearly 550,000 new and existing businesses in Minnesota as they file their annual renewal. The answers are considered public data and there is no penalty if you choose not to participate.

The survey was put together with the input of individual business owners, business organizations, non-profits, and researchers from across the state who see this as a great opportunity to make it easier and more convenient for businesses to identify potential partners, and for the public and educational institutions to better understand the state’s business community. We hope you will consider participating.

Business Amendment Filings:

Amendments (changes) may be made to Business filings if allowed per the statute they are governed under. You may view business statutes at The Office of the Revisor of Statutes webpage https://www.revisor.mn.gov The Minnesota Secretary of State Office does not have generic forms for all situations but many can be found at our Printable Forms page.

Many Amendment Filings can be filed online Business Filings Online. All Amendment Filings can be filed by mail, or at our customer counter.

How to File Your Annual Renewal or Amendment Online:

Step 1: Create an online account with us and login or sign into an existing online account. Here you can find more information about creating an account.

Step 2: Go to the Business Filings Online  and search your business by its name or file number.

  • If the entity is inactive you will need to change the search’s filing status from “Active” to “Inactive” in order to locate the entity.
  • If the entity is inactive you will need to reinstate the entity before an amendment can be filed.

Step 3: Click on “Details” next to your business name from the Search Results.

Step 4: Click on “File Amendment/Renewal” from the Business Record Details page.

Step 5: Choose your Amendment or Renewal from the list of Amendments-Available for Filing. Not all amendment types are available to be processed online.

  • “Online Filings” are real time filings and will create the filing out of the information you provide.
  • “Express Filings” will require that you upload a pdf of the filing. Select the PDF form. Complete & save it to your computer, before uploading. It is important to note that the file size must be less than 2 megabytes. The file name must be 10 characters or less and contain no punctuation, spaces or special character. If a PDF form is not available for your filing type, you may upload a document that you have created directly for filing in a pdf format. Please note a typed name at the bottom of the form, in the usual space for the signature, satisfies the legal requirement for a signature.

Step 6: Complete the required information and/or upload your amendment form.

Step 7: Review the Filing, then click “Submit”. You will then receive an Order Number specific to your filing. Record the Order Number before continuing. Then click on the “Continue to Make Payment” button. Once on the US Bank page you will have the option to set up an e-service account with US Bank. The US Bank e-service account will store your credit card information for future transactions.

You can by-pass the US Bank e-services registration by clicking on "pay without registering".    This allows you to process a one-time payment with your credit card.

Step 8: After you’ve completed the payment you will receive a confirmation page along with a payment confirmation number. Print out the confirmation page or record the Confirmation Number. You will receive an email from our office when the filing is processed as well as an email for the payment from US Bank.

Step 9: When you receive the email from our office that the filing has been processed you can open the email and there will be a link that you can click on that will take you to our website where you can download a copy of the filing. The link is only valid for 90 days.

NOTE: All filings are kept in the Transaction History for 90 days. The Transaction History is accessible by signing into your online account on our website and then clicking on Transaction History. Once you’re on the History page you can click on the order number on the right and it will give you an option to download the filing.

Filing Instructions for Filing Online with the pdf form

  • Click on the link to the fillable PDF form.
  • Open and complete the information on the form.
  • After you have completed, save it to your computer.
  • Close the form, by clicking on “File” and select “Close” from the drop down menu.
  • You must now upload your form to complete the filing process.

Filing Instructions for Uploading a pdf document

  • Upload the filing form PDF you just created by clicking on the “Upload file” button.
  • Enter the required information and click “Continue” to review your filing information.
  • Review the information you provided and click “Submit Filing”.
  • Click “Continue to Make Payment” if your filing requires a fee.
  • After the filing process is complete (and your payment has been confirmed, if you paid a fee), you will receive an email confirming your filing.